Hospital Support Specialist Program
If you’re looking for a rewarding career in hospital administration, you’ll love the many opportunities our Hospital Support Specialist Diploma Program will prepare you for.
Stenberg College is the only private post-secondary school in BC offering this unique industry specific program specializing in administrative duties within the heath care field. You’ll receive training in medical terminology, professional communications, office operations, keyboarding/data entry, registration, diagnostic imaging, release of information, health records clerical duties, Meditech and other computerized health information systems as applicable.
This one of a kind program will prepare you for entry-level employment as an Admitting/Registration Clerk, Health Records Clerk, Diagnostic Imaging Clerk, Hospital Switchboard Operator, Medical Secretary and much more.
Want to know more about this exciting field? Read on…
The Stenberg College Hospital Support Specialist Program prepares graduates to:
|1||Demonstrate the knowledge base, skills and attitudes consistent with industry expectations for entry level employment.|
|2||Gain employment in the field within 6 months of graduation.|
Typical Job Duties
The Hospital Support Specialist job you choose will be limited only by your imagination and how hard you’re willing to work. Typical duties can include:
- The admitting and registration of patients into various departments and/or hospital units
- Dealing with billing rejections
- Collecting and recording patient data for medical records
- Collecting personal patient information such as age, medical history and insurance coverage
- Data entry and performing clerical tasks such as reception duties, scheduling of diagnostic appointments, maintaining files and ordering supplies
- Retrieving, assembling and disassembling patients’ charts
- Ensuring accurate completion of the patient records.
As a Hospital Support Specialist, you could work in a:
Wages and Career Outlook
Wage and career outlook information is difficult to predict. Unlike other occupations, opportunities in healthcare are driven by current government policy rather than the business cycle. The typical wage upon graduation tends to be in the range of $18.16-$21.00/hr. Some positions can lead to clerical supervisory roles, for which the wage ranges from $23.00-$28.00/hr.
Use the following sites to find further information about career outlook and wages. By no means is this a comprehensive list, but it is a place to start:
Is This Program For You?
It is if you:
|1||Enjoy working as part of a team comprised of many busy professionals
||Have an eye for detail
|4||Want to work in an hospital office environment – the work of a Hospital Support Specialist is largely clerical
|5||Are comfortable working with computers|
Program Delivery Format
This full-time, 51-week program is delivered in a face-to-face classroom environment. The first course, Orientation & Student Success Skills, provides an important opportunity for students, faculty, and administration to meet each other and to get a comprehensive overview of your program.
You will spend the next 44-weeks completing 15 theory courses. During this time you will also complete a one-week Career Search Strategies course which is delivered in a combined delivery format. Portions of this course will be delivered online, using Moodle as the online learning platform, as well as face-to-face for the interview portion of the course. You will also complete your Program Review course online using Moodle.
During the theory portion of this program the following courses will be delivered in a combined classroom and hospital computer lab environment. Having access to the hospital computer lab will provide you with the simulated experience to work within the local hospital health information system (Meditech):
- Registration Services
- Records Management
- Release of Information
- Diagnostic Imaging Procedures
- Community Wide Scheduling
Following the theory portion of the program, you will complete two 3-week Consolidated Practice Experiences followed by a 1-day program debrief and celebration.
Program Admission Requirements
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English (if English is a Second Language)
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Minimum typing speed of 20 wpm
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements
Duration and Financing
Duration: 51 weeks, including practicum
Financing: You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.