Medical Office Assistant
If you’re looking for a rewarding career in healthcare administration, you’ll love being a Medical Office Assistant.
Stenberg College’s Medical Office Assistant Diploma Program will prepare you to work with healthcare professionals. You’ll learn the skills necessary to assist in preparing patients for physicians, surgeons and practitioners, as well as how to perform general office and medical office duties.
To find out more about how you can enjoy an exciting career in the healthcare field as a Medical Office Assistant, read on…
The Stenberg College Medical Office Assistant Program prepares graduates to:
|1||Demonstrate the knowledge base, skills and attitudes consistent with industry expectations for entry level employment|
|2||Gain employment in the field within 6 months of graduation.|
Typical Job Duties
Medical Office Assistants perform a variety of administrative and clinical tasks to keep the offices of physicians and other healthcare practitioners running smoothly. Your duties will include:
- Being part of the primary healthcare team
- Interacting with a variety of patients of all ages and backgrounds
- Clinical duties such as measuring vital signs, preparing patients for physical exams, assisting with gynecological exams, assisting pediatricians with children, and preparing surgical trays.
- Ensuring that necessary patient chart information is compiled and ready to be referenced for patient visits. This may include electronic medical records.
- Answering telephones, greeting patients, and updating and filing patients’ medical records
- Recording patient data
- Following up on inconsistencies and information that needs to be tracked down
- Developing spreadsheets and documents using word processors
- Managing databases
- Filling out insurance forms and managing private invoicing
- Handling incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Scheduling clinic and referral appointments
- Arranging for hospital admission and laboratory services
- Performing billing and bookkeeping
As a Medical Office Assistant, you’ll find opportunities for employment with a:
Wages and Career Outlook
Wage and career outlook information is difficult to predict. Unlike other occupations, opportunities in healthcare are driven by current government policy rather than the business cycle. Based on employment statistics gathered by Stenberg College, the wage range of students who completed the Medical Office Assistant program and are working in their field of study is $10 to $19 per hour.
The following list shows some other sources for career research. Please realize that these figures are based on groupings of a large number of related jobs. Wages and career outlook may differ due to your education level, job location, and the type of employer you work for. By no means is this a comprehensive list, but it is a place to start:
Is This Program for You?
It is If you:
|1||Like working with people|
|2||Have good communication skills and are able to work as part of a team|
|3||Have an eye for detail and can multi-task|
|4||Enjoy working on computers. You can expect information technology to be a large and growing part of your work.|
|5||Can maintain confidentiality|
|6||Want to work in an office|
Program Delivery Format
This program is delivered in a classroom-based format.
Program Admission Requirements
- Completion of Grade 12 or 19 years of age or older
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Minimum typing speed of 20 wpm
- Completion of Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements
Duration and Financing
Duration: 32 weeks including a practicum
Financing: You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.