Are you looking for a rewarding career where you can make a difference in the lives of people struggling with mental health and addictions issues? Consider a career as a Community Mental Health & Addictions Worker.
Community Mental Health and Addictions Workers assist individuals with mental health, housing and addiction challenges by encouraging and supporting them in their daily lives.
The Community Mental Health & Addictions Worker program is unique, offering both theory and hands-on experience, and is a true collaboration with partners Lookout Emergency Aid Society; and Portland Hotel Society (PHS) – two agencies supporting persons with mental health and addictions issues. Stenberg’s Community Mental Health & Addictions Worker program includes a weekly in-field experience component, allowing students to become comfortable in the environment and apply their classroom learning in real-life situations.
- Completion of Grade 12 or mature student status
- Passing Stenberg College Entrance Examination
- Passing Stenberg College Entrance Interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Evidence of a minimum of 12 volunteer hours (community support / street level service experience)
- A minimum of 2 years of sobriety for those with addiction issues
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a Physician
Program Advisors will work with students to obtain the following:
- Proof of 12 volunteer or paid hours in community support / street level service experience
- Reference letter stating suitability to work with mental health clients
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.