Community Support Worker
- Delivery Method: In-Class
- Duration: 32 weeks, including a 7-week practicum
- Starts: Once per year (October)
- Credential: Diploma
- Wages: Up to $20.71/hour
Are you a caring and empathetic individual looking to make a difference in your community and society? Your future should be in community support-based work. Train to effectively promote the mental, physical and emotional health of people with specialized needs so that they may live as fully and independently as possible.
Community Support Workers assist people with learning disabilities, physical challenges or other special needs, along with their families. They model, teach and support all functions of home life, daily living activities, leisure and recreation leading to an improved quality of life and greater self-reliance for people with specialized needs. Community Support Workers also build community relationships (i.e. networking with employers) so that they may encourage people with developmental disabilities in their career discovery process. Furthering employment options for those they work with, Community Support Workers also build training plans and provide direct support within the workplace.
- Completion of Grade 12 or 19 years of age or older
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Reference letter stating suitability to work with people with developmental disabilities
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
Note: A valid driver’s license (or new driver status) is highly recommended. Graduates without a driver’s license may face limited employment opportunities and lower wages.
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.