Dispensing Opticians are integral members of the eye-care team who design, produce and fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and specialized products for their clients. If you are customer focused, organized and enthusiastic and want to work as part of a healthcare team, consider a career as a Dispensing Optician.
Stenberg’s Dispensing Optician program has been organized to ensure graduates gain skills in key areas valued within the field. Through theory and lab courses, students gain a comprehensive education in the areas of eyeglass dispensing, contact lens fitting and automated refraction. Emphasis is placed on interpersonal communication, customer service and professional practice. This program prepares students to successfully complete the national licensing exam.
Stenberg’s Dispensing Optician program provides instructor-led guided online learning in a highly supported environment. Stenberg’s combined delivery format allows you to pursue your education in your home community.
- Grade 12 graduation or mature student status
- Provide proof of English 10 or higher, or take the Reading Comprehension test Level C. A Stenberg College English Assessment is available
- Any Math 11 with a grade of “C-” or higher (or equivalent); or completion of the Stenberg College Math Assessment
- Any Science Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of C or higher (preferred)
- Two years of retail or customer service experience with the same employer or a minimum six months of customer service experience with a reference letter from an employer
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a second language
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Admissions Essay
- Completion of Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance with Practice Education requirements could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.