Early Childhood Education is an extremely rewarding profession. There is a great demand across British Columbia for qualified and dedicated Early Childhood Educators that can provide superior care and education for children from birth to school age.
The first five years of a child’s life are the most formative and highly important to their development. The needs of preschool children have become a top priority. As an Early Childhood Educator, you will fill a meaningful and fulfilling role in society. Your job prospects after completing this program are excellent, as over 98 per cent of Stenberg Early Childhood Education program graduates find employment within six months of program completion in daycare, preschools, nursery schools, special needs centres, public schools, and infant/toddler centres.
- Completion of Grade 12 or 19 years of age or older
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include: Students must provide the following to their Program Advisor prior to program start:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
Program Advisors will work with students to obtain the following:
- Proof of 50 hours of volunteer work with children aged 3-5
- Reference letter stating suitability to work with children
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.