Do you enjoy working with children? Do you want a rewarding career helping individuals with challenges achieve their full potential? Consider a career as an Education Assistant.
Education Assistants assist elementary and secondary school teachers as they work with students who may require additional support for academic, ESL, behavioural, and special needs. Graduates of Stenberg’s Education Assistant program are prepared to work in both public and private schools, child care centers, community drop in centres and more.
There are few things in life as rewarding as helping individuals with challenges achieve their full potential. Education Assistants assist elementary and secondary school teachers to support students requiring special needs instruction. Stenberg’s Education Assistant Program produces graduates high in demand by school districts throughout British Columbia and Alberta.
The program is offered in a classroom- or online-based format, allowing you to choose the delivery method that best suits your learning style, lifestyle and schedule.
Please note that the job title “Educational Assistant” is growing in use and is replacing “Special Education Assistant”. The title “Teacher Assistant” is being used less as time goes on.
- Completion of Canadian Grade 12 or equivalent
- Completion of English 12 with a grade C or higher or Communications 12 with a grade B or higher or alternate acceptable English assessment
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Meeting English Language Requirements if English is a Second Language
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- In addition to the Criminal Record Search, Alberta students may be required to complete a Child Intervention Check
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
Program Advisors will work with students to obtain the following:
- Proof of 50 hours of volunteer or paid experience working with children
- Reference letter stating suitability to work with children
- Preference will be given to applicants who have volunteer or paid experience working with children with special needs in school or related settings
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.