We have offered our 30-week Health Care Assistant Certificate
program for over 20 years and it maintains an excellent reputation for preparing our graduates for employment after program completion. Instructors in this program are currently working in the industry ensuring you acquire relevant and in-demand skills. With nearly 300 hours of hands-on experience, you will be extremely well prepared and connected for employment after program completion.
While the majority of our Health Care Assistant Certificate graduates provide care for seniors, our program prepares you to care for adults with a wide variety of chronic health conditions.
This program is for you if:
- are a compassionate individual
- have a sincere interest in helping others
- would like to work in a hospital or residential care setting
- can imagine yourself helping the elderly to meet their basic needs, such as getting out of bed, eating, and showering
- Grade 10 graduation or 19 years of age or older
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short, written essay
- Passing English Language Competency Requirements
- English 10 or equivalent (for native speakers of English)
- Standardized English language proficiency test score (for non-native speakers of English)
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
*If English is a Second Language, passing one of Stenberg College’s recognized Language Proficiency Assessments as per the Stenberg College’s Language Proficiency Requirements Document is compulsory.
Prior to Health Care Assistant Program Admission, our Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, you will be informed of the next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal.
Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Review with Vulnerable Sector Check by the Ministry of Justice
- Letter of good health completed by a physician
- TB Screening Results
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Flu vaccination as required by industry
Please note: A valid driver’s license and access to personal transport is recommended for HCA200: Home Support / Assisted Living Practicum. If you are not able to provide your own transport you may have difficulty meeting the requirements of this component.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for ELMS funding, government student loans and other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.