Health Care Assistant
- Delivery Method: In-Class
- Duration: 30 weeks, including a 7-week practicum
- Starts: Twice per year (Apr and Oct)
- Credential: Certificate
- Wages: Up to $23.05/hour
As a Health Care Assistant, you provide support to elderly individuals and help them maintain a level of independence while easing their pain and improving their quality of life. Graduates are prepared to work in Extended and Intermediate Care Facilities, Home Support Agencies, Adult Day Care, and Assisted Living residences. While the majority of program graduates provide care for seniors, our program prepares you to care for adults with a wide variety of chronic health conditions.
Stenberg College has offered the Health Care Assistant (Resident Care Attendant) Program for over 20 years and maintains an excellent reputation for training students that are exceptionally prepared for employment after graduation. The program has nearly 300 hours of experience in the field so that students are extremely well prepared and connected for employment after their Program ends. Students are taught by instructors that are currently working in the industry, ensuring that skills learned are relevant and in-demand.
- Grade 10 graduation or 19 years of age or older
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing English Language Competency Requirements
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
Please note: A valid driver’s license and access to personal transport is recommended for HCA200: Home Support / Assisted Living Practicum. Students who are not able to provide their own transport may have difficulty meeting the requirements of this component.
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.