- Delivery Method: Combined Delivery
- Duration: 62 weeks
- Starts: Once per year (January)
- Credential: Diploma
- Designation: Registered Cardiology Technologist (RCT)
- Wages: Up to $37.11/hour
- Location: Regional labs are located in Surrey, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Halifax.
Interested in a career that combines cardiology and technology? Stenberg’s Cardiology Technologist diploma program prepares graduates to work in hospital and clinical settings, conducting a wide variety of diagnostic procedures including ECG, Stress Tests, Holter Monitoring, and Event Monitoring.
Recognized by the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists (CSCT) and the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), Stenberg graduates are prepared for employment immediately after graduating, or may choose to continue their education and pursue a Bachelor of Health Sciences.
Articulation ( Credit Transfer )
After completing Stenberg’s Cardiology Technologist program, students have the option of pursuing a Bachelor of Health Sciences with Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Open Learning, with whom Stenberg College has an articulation agreement. This agreement allows Stenberg College Cardiology Technologist graduates to complete their Bachelor of Health Sciences at TRU.
Please note, Stenberg College offers a variety of free upgrading courses and challenge exams in order to help students meet these admission prerequisites. Please contact a Program Advisor to discuss your academic options.
- Grade 12 Biology (minimum grade C+)*
- Grade 12 English (minimum grade C+)*
- Grade 11 Math (Principles, Foundations or Pre-calculus) or Applications of Math 12 (minimum grade C+)*
- Grade 11 Science – Chemistry or Physics (minimum grade C+)*
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record
* Admission Access: Licensed / Registered Healthcare Professionals (who have completed Grade 12 and a post-secondary healthcare program) are exempt from specific secondary coursework requirements.
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, you will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
- Cardiac Life Support Certification
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.
Read stories from our students and grads about their experience with the Cardiology Technologist program at Stenberg.
Jonathan Aquino is driven to be the best he can be. While Cardiology Technology is the perfect career for this caring and conscientious young man, it wasn’t the first program that brought Jonathan to Stenberg College. He first completed the 30-week Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) program, graduating with honours in September of 2014.
At 19, Jonathan went entered the MLA program a shy, quiet student who recalls speaking “maybe once or twice” during the first few months of the program and was frightened of needles. Encouraged by his teachers, Jonathan thrived, and according to instructor Steve Paras, “demonstrated tremendous growth, in regards to both his confidence and his maturity.” After completing the MLA program, being nominated as the MLA Student of the Year finalist, and realizing that his excellent grades proved that his dream of studying medicine was attainable, Jonathan enrolled in Stenberg’s demanding Cardiology Technologist (CAT) program in January of 2015.
Jonathan assumed a leadership role in the program, serving as a Student Council Representative, encouraging his classmates to get involved in the Stenberg community and tutoring peers who struggled with the course load.
Thanks to his strong time management skills, Jonathan was able to balance his responsibilities and earned a 98.4% GPA, the highest GPA ever for a CAT student.
Never one to rest on his laurels, Jonathan is now studying full-time at Thompson Rivers University, working towards a Bachelor of Health Sciences. Thanks to an articulation agreement, Jonathan will be able to complete his degree in less than two years, and is then considering writing the MCAT exams. “Before Stenberg, becoming a doctor seemed so far out of reach, now I know that my only limit is myself. I can push myself as far as I like, my future is up to me.”
More Like This
Dispensing Opticians are integral members of the eye-care team who design, produce and fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and specialized products for their clients.
If you’re organized, able to multi-task, and interested in working in a laboratory or hospital setting, consider a career as a Medical Laboratory Assistant.