Hospital Support Specialist
- Delivery Method: In-Class
- Duration: 51 weeks, including a 6-week practicum
- Starts: Three time per year (February, June and October)
- Credential: Diploma
- Wages: Entry level wages from $18.16 – $21/hour
Are you looking for a rewarding career in hospital administration? As a Hospital Support Specialist, you will be trained to provide valuable clerical, secretarial, and administrative support in public and private health care settings. Hospital Support Specialist graduates can hold a variety of job titles, but typical duties can include the admitting and registration of patients into various departments and/or hospital units, billing, collecting patient data, data entry, clerical tasks, and retrieving, assembling, and disassembling patients’ charts.
Stenberg College is the only private post-secondary school in BC offering this unique industry-specific program specializing in administrative duties within the health care field. Students receive training in medical terminology, professional communications, office operations, keyboarding/data entry, registration, diagnostic imaging, release of information, health records clerical duties, Meditech, and other computerized health information systems as applicable.
This program will prepare graduates for entry-level employment as an Admitting/Registration Clerk, Health Records Clerk, Diagnostic Imaging Clerk, Hospital Switchboard Operator, Medical Secretary, and much more.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English (if English is a Second Language)
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Minimum typing speed of 20 wpm
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.