Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Program Delivery: In-class and Online (Combined delivery)*
- Duration: 30 weeks, including a 4-week practicum
Starts: Surrey: Three times per year (May*, July and October)
Vancouver Island: Once per year (May*)
- Credential: Diploma
- Wages: Up to $22.57/hour
If you’re organized, able to multi-task, and interested in working in a laboratory or hospital setting, consider a career as a Medical Laboratory Assistant. Medical Laboratory Assistants perform the practical components of sample analysis. They are integral members of the health care team who share knowledge, promote learning, and collaborate with other professionals in providing effective patient care.
A Medical Laboratory Assistant can perform a wide variety of tasks, depending upon the needs of the institute that is doing the testing. Sample duties include performing phlebotomy (collecting blood), electrocardiograms (ECGs), basic preanalytical procedures, and interacting directly with patients.
Stenberg College works very closely with labs and community hospitals and strives at all times to maintain our reputation for providing relevant training and producing highly skilled graduates who are rapidly employed.
Program Delivery: Stenberg College offers an in-class program in Surrey, BC and in collaboration with LifeLabs on Vancouver Island, also offers an online program (Vancouver Island only) with practicum placements at the LifeLabs in Victoria (and surrounding areas), Nanaimo, Duncan, and Courtenay.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Two years of customer service experience with the same employer, or a minimum of 6 months of customer service experience with a reference letter from an employer
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English if English is a Second Language
- Minimum typing speed of 40 words per minute
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, you will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; you will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.