Nursing Unit Clerk
- Delivery Method: In-Class
- Duration: 40 weeks, including a 6-week practicum
- Starts: Three times per year (January, May and September)
- Credential: Diploma
- Wages: start at $22.23/hour (+12.2% in lieu of benefits)
Are you organized, detail-oriented and professional? If this sounds like you, consider a career as a Nursing Unit Clerk. Nursing Unit Clerks act as the heart of a health care unit by maintaining the pulse. They direct resources, communicate with patients, nurses and doctors, and ensure urgent tasks are completed efficiently. A Nursing Unit Clerk must be able to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, and possess strong communication skills.
Nursing Unit Clerks act as the anchors of patient care departments. The Nursing Unit Clerk focus is on the non-clinical tasks of the department, and delivering and communicating the physician’s orders with the nursing staff and the other departments (laboratory, diagnostic imaging, pharmacy, dietary, and therapies).
Depending on the health care environment, Nursing Unit Clerks may also be referred to as Nursing Unit Coordinators, Nursing Unit Assistants or Health Unit Coordinators.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination
- Successful completion of a short written essay
- Passing Verbal Test of English (if English is a Second Language)
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
- Certified five minute keyboarding test with a typing speed of 25 gross words per minute or higher with a maximum of 5 errors
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
NB: Additional criteria may be required to fulfill industry guidelines; students will be informed in advance of any requirements that need to be fulfilled for placements.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.