Pharmacy Technicians are a critical part of the health care team. They work collaboratively with pharmacists and are responsible for ensuring that the highest standards of quality and accuracy are met in the compounding and dispensing of prescription medication.
Stenberg’s Pharmacy Technician Program is designed to prepare students for Pharmacy Technician positions in community and hospital pharmacies. Our graduates have the knowledge, skills and professionalism to satisfy registration requirements set by the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
In our combined delivery program, instructors facilitate learning in an interactive online environment. Hands-on skills are developed in the lab setting and clinical competencies are mastered at affiliated clinical partner sites (hospitals and community pharmacies). This delivery allows students to pursue the majority of their program in their home communities, with travel/relocation required only for short periods of time to complete program orientation, a four-week lab block, a three-week lab block, and clinical requirements.
For High school graduates and Mature Students (19+):
- Grade 12 English (minimum grade C) or equivalent*
- Grade 12 Biology (minimum grade C) or equivalent
- Grade 11 Math (Foundations, Principles or Precalculus – minimum grade C) or equivalent
- Grade 11 Chemistry (minimum Grade C) or equivalent*
- Typing speed of 35 net words per minute
- Fluent in written and spoken English. If English is not your first language, and you did not take all of your high school at an English Canadian high school, you need to provide proof of English fluency through standard ESL tests as defined by NAPRA
Prior to going on practicum, students must complete a test for Tuberculosis showing that they are clear of the disease, and must also have up to date immunizations as required by practicum sites.
*Equivalencies for the required courses can be obtained from post-secondary training, Stenberg College challenge tests, etc.
The Stenberg College Pharmacy Technician Online Diploma Program prepares graduates to:
- Demonstrate the knowledge base, skills, and attitudes consistent with industry expectations for entry-level employment. Graduates will be able to meet competency requirements set out by the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA).
- Prepare graduates to successfully complete the regulated licensing exams and Structured Practical Training (SPT) required to become a Regulated Pharmacy Technician and qualify for registration with the College of Pharmacists in their province within 12 months of program completion.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Stenberg College Pharmacy Technician Online Diploma Program, graduates will be able to:
- Comply with the Pharmacy Manager’s directives and demonstrate professionalism, accountability and responsibility.
- Collaborate effectively with other health professionals to provide exceptional patient care.
- Safely prepare and dispense medications within the Pharmacy Technician’s scope of practice.
- Determine patient, physician, drug, third party and government information required to maintain accurate records using pharmacy prescription software.
- Accurately and efficiently process a prescription in a pharmacy setting.
- Effectively support pharmacy operations including merchandising, inventory management and risk management.
- Accurately and efficiently perform pharmaceutical calculations and conversions based on prescription information.
- Demonstrate multi-tasking skills, adaptability, how to make effective decisions while using good judgement and reasoning and how to use critical thinking skills.
- Under the supervision of the Pharmacy Manager, understand legal and ethical behaviour that considers confidentiality, liability, negligence, patient rights, patient safety occupational health and safety, and consent.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with patients and other health professionals using written, verbal, non-verbal and technological forms of communication.
- Support public health activities in collaboration with the pharmacists.
- Accept referrals from and make referrals to the pharmacists.
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.