- Delivery Method: In-Class
- Duration: 74 weeks
- Starts: Three times per year (February, June, and October)
- Credential: Diploma
- Designation: Licensed Practical Nurse
- Wages: Up to $25.50/hour
Do you feel a strong sense of purpose to provide safe and appropriate nursing care to those in need? If so, becoming a Practical Nurse may be the career choice for you. Practical Nursing is the second largest nursing group in Canada. As a Practical Nurse, you will be delivering care as part of a primary health care team, working in public and private care facilities.
As a Practical Nurse, you’ll provide direct care under the supervision of a registered nurse, physician or other healthcare specialist. You’ll be a valued member of a primary healthcare team, qualified to: administer medication, assess and monitor patients, assist in rehabilitation activities, educate clients regarding health-related issues and more.
To learn more about entering the healthcare profession as a Practical Nurse, please read the Becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse in Canada: Requisite Skills and Abilities document and the Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses document.
- Completion of Canadian Grade 12 or equivalent. An International Credential Evaluation can be accepted from students educated outside of Canada
- English 12 with a minimum grade of C+ OR Technical Communication 12 with a minimum grade of B+ *
- Math 11 Principles with a minimum grade of C (current BC curriculum) OR Math 11 Foundations with a minimum grade of C (commencing 2012) *
- Biology 12 (Human Body) with a minimum grade of C *
- Passing of Stenberg College Entrance Interview
- Completion of the Online Computer Skills Entrance Test with a score of 70% or higher
- Completion of Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
*Requirements may be met through challenge exams for qualifying students. For English, an acceptable assessment such as an IELTS, CELBAN, etc. can be accepted. Stenberg also offers a Biology 12 course for those students who require it.
Prior to Program Admission, Program Advisors will outline practice education requirements for the program. Upon enrollment, students will be informed of next steps and timelines. Non-compliance could result in program dismissal. Requirements for practice education placements include:
- Acceptable Criminal Record Search under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Proof of Immunity Status as required by industry
- Acceptable Medical Examination Form completed by a physician
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for Employment Insurance funding for education, government student loans, as well as other financing options; Stenberg’s Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.